Balsamic Grilled Strawberry and Shrimp Salad
The hot days of summer call for light eating, such as this delicious main course that combines Ontario strawberries, lettuce, grilled shrimp and chèvre cheese. Throw a multigrain baguette wrapped in foil onto the grill and you’ll have a great satisfying meal.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Ontario Strawberries
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each red wine vinegar and vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) slivered almonds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 8 cups (2 L) Ontario Leaf Lettuce (red or green)
- 3 oz (90 g) Ontario Chèvre Cheese, crumbled
- 16 large firm Ontario Strawberries
- 12 medium to large raw shrimp (8 oz/250 g), peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
In small food processor or with immersion blender, purée strawberries, mayonnaise, vinegar, oil, sugar and salt. (Can be covered and refrigerated for 1 day.) Set aside.
In small skillet, toast almonds over medium-high heat until golden. Sprinkle with sugar; heat until sugar dissolves and caramelizes and coats almonds. Let cool.
Place lettuce in 4 individual bowls; top with chèvre cheese. Set aside.
Alternately thread 4 strawberries and 3 shrimp onto each of 4 metal or soaked wooden skewers. Combine vinegar with oil; brush all over skewers. Place on greased grill over high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until shrimp are pink, about 4 minutes.
To serve, drizzle strawberry vinaigrette over lettuce and cheese. Top with skewer; sprinkle with caramelized almonds.
- PROTEIN: 20 grams
- FAT: 27 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 18 grams
- CALORIES: 385
- HIGH SOURCE OF FIBRE
SOURCE: Foodland Ontario